Expanded functionality simplifies simultaneous language interpretation
Listen Technologies Corporation, the leading provider of advanced wireless listening solutions for 22 years, has announced expanded functionality in ListenTALK, its award-winning mobile communication system. The firmware update adds a powerful new capability to ListenTALK that easily and seamlessly supports simultaneous interpretation.
ListenTALK helps overcome the challenges that distance, background noise, hearing loss, and face coverings pose to communications. The new functionality makes it easier for interpreters using ListenTALK to listen to audio in one language and speak the words in another language without having to carry additional equipment. The expanded functionality also enhances natural conversations by allowing three people to talk simultaneously.
“Listen Technologies has been delivering exceptional audio experiences and helping people engage with one another in challenging hearing environments for more than two decades,” said Maile Keone, president of Listen Technologies. “The next generation ListenTALK system makes it easier for venues and interpreters to break down language barriers and foster inclusion.”
How It Works
ListenTALK lets users communicate in any environment, while following safe social distancing standards. The system features a small transceiver (combination transmitter/receiver) that users wear on a lanyard around their neck, accompanied by a venue-provided headset with microphone or users’ own headphones or earbuds with a built-in mic. Users press and hold a button on the transceiver to speak to just the leader or the group.
With the firmware update, interpreters can use one ListenTALK unit to hear a presenter’s message in their headset and speak the translated words to their audience using one unit hands-free. Listeners in the interpreter’s group can hear in their preferred language translated from the original source. Listeners can also use the push-to-talk feature to ask the interpreter questions. Interpreters do not need to carry a separate receiver and transmitter or juggle two headsets or a microphone to hear audio from the presenter and listeners and to relay interpretations to listeners.
ListenTALK also enables relay, or two deep interpretation, meaning an interpreter can listen to another interpreter translate the main presenter’s words and then translate the words for her own group. For instance, a presenter may speak Spanish and an interpreter who understands Spanish interprets for English speakers. One of the English speakers further interprets for German speakers.
“With ListenTALK, listeners who do not understand the language of the presenter are not excluded from understanding what is said and sharing in the experience,” said Sam Nord, vice president of global sales at Listen Technologies. “Whether interpreters provide whispered, consecutive, liaison, simultaneous, or relay interpretation, we’ve made it easy to use ListenTALK and facilitate communication between groups that do not speak the same language.”
Instances where ListenTALK could be used to support simultaneous interpretation include corporate events and meetings, VIP and customer tours at manufacturing plants, campus tours, cultural events and attractions, medical settings, and worship services.
Exceptional sound quality and simplicity are hallmarks of the ListenTALK system. Additional features of the system that distinguish it include:
- • Transceivers are easy to set up and group using a docking station or by tapping units together.
- • Included software suite lets venues easily name groups by language (e.g., Spanish, Chinese, etc.).
- • Up to 20 simultaneous groups can be created and/or languages can be interpreted in the same space in North America and Japan, and up to 30 simultaneous languages can be interpreted in the same space in Europe.
- • Users can hear and engage with their interpreter and others in their group, even in noisy environments, and while maintaining safe physical distance.
- • Units can be sanitized between use, stopping the spread of viruses and bacteria.
- • The system operates on a low interference DECT (Digital Enhanced Cordless Communications) band and includes encryption for secure and stable communications.
- • Clear audio is transmitted within a 100-meter radius indoors and 200-meter radius outdoors.
The ListenTALK 2.0 firmware update will be available starting April 5, 2021. Learn more by visiting: try.listentech.com/listentalk-2